Wednesday 18 March 2009

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier

SYNOPSIS
On a bitter November evening, young Mary Yellan journeys across the rainswept moors to Jamaica Inn in honour of her mother's dying request. When she arrives, the warning of the coachman begins to echo in her memory, for her aunt Patience cowers before hulking Uncle Joss Merlyn. Terrified of the inn's brooding power, Mary gradually finds herself ensnared in the dark schemes being enacted behind its crumbling walls -- and tempted to love a man she dares not trust.

MY VIEW
I'm off to Cornwall in October for the first time since I was a child and I like to read fiction associated with the areas I'm going to, am I sad? LOL

Anyway, this is the first book I have read by Daphne Du Maurier and is a real classic by all accounts, a very moody almost depressing novel. Set around the infamous jamaica Inn in Cornwall (which also happens to be haunted, I think Most Haunted done an investigation here some time ago) so this is set near the Bodmin Moor and is set in Victorian times.

Joss Merlyn is quite a not particuarly nice character, the book centres around Mary Yellan who is travelling to Jamaica Inn aon a cold, windy and pretty much nasty night aboard a stagecoach when she arrives its not exactly the most friendliest of welcomes she receives!

This is a pretty much a gothic tale and it flows nicely there aren't too many 'boring bits'. I can't say it was engrossing but, a pretty good read.

1 comment:

Marg said...

I bought this book years ago but have never read it. I have been thinking about reading it recently, if I can find it!