Wednesday 21 May 2008

Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels Trilogy) by Anne Bishop

Book One Daughter of the Blood
Synopsis
Anne Bishop's debut novel, Daughter of the Blood, is like black coffee--strong, dark, and hard on delicate stomachs. Within the Blood (a race of magic-users), women rule and men serve, but tradition has been corrupted so that women enslave men, who seek to destroy their oppressors. Female children are violated before they can reach maturity; men are tortured and forced to satisfy witches' sexual appetites.
Bishop's child heroine, Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?

My View
This is just about the third time I have read this book, actually the entire series. This really stands out as one of my favourite fantasy books - EVER! That could change of course as I haven't read every fantasy book there is but, it rea;lly would have to be some gem to beat this.

Anne Bishop has really createda totally intricate world - Jaenelle is our heroine and I was totally mesmerised by her she is a totally innoent girl yet her destiny is to be the most powerful witch. And of course, Daemon I cannot believe anyone would not b mesmerised these two.

Saetan is the Lord High of Hell and that sounds way more scary than he really is because of how we have come to associate hell I guess, Saetan is Jaenelle's adopted father and Daemon is Saetan's son. Once you read this book you will be hunting down the rest if you don't have them already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with this series on my honeymoon and have been recomending it to everyone who hasn't yet read it! I think it was hearing you rave about it that first encouraged me to try it as I hadn't heard of it before so thank you so much :) :) :)
I have Tangled Webs to read next month and then I am going to donate my hardback copy to my best friend and I will get me own paperback when it comes out.

Unknown said...

This series will live forever be my favorite. It just speaks to me, I wish there was more!