Thursday 11 December 2008

The Woman In Black by Susan Hill

SYNOPSIS
Proud and solitary, Eel Marsh House surveys the windswept reaches of the salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral of Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shuttered windows. It is not until he glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral, that a creeping sense of unease begins to take hold, a feeling deepened by the reluctance of the locals to talk of the woman in black - and her terrible purpose.

MY VIEW
Firstly, the negative for a relatively short book I did find this rather slow moving - its brilliantly told don't get me wrong just rather slow!

But, thataside it is a very chilling shivers down your spine kind of book. It has all the typical traits of a typical ghost story - the lonely house no-one dares goes near but, for all its haunting and chilliness I did not find it really all that scary at least not scary in the way The Magic Cottage scared me!

Arthur Kibbs attends a funeral for Mrs Drablow and whilst there he is asked to go through the papers to find a benefactor. He goes to Crythin Griffin and it is when he gets here he enters Mrs Drablows house a house that seems totally isolated from the rest of the world!

If you love typical ghost stories then I am sure you will love this for an old well-loved classic I am sorry but, it didn't leave me as thrilled with it as I thought it would.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

This sounds like a really interesting book. Will have to add it to my wish list. Great job on the review.