Tuesday 11 November 2008

Captive Queen of Scots by Jean Plaidy

SYNOPSIS
Scotland has been torn apart by civil war and the young and passionate Catholic Mary Queen of Scots is in the hands of her enemies. Under duress, Mary abdicates in favour of her son, James VI, and fleeing to England she boldly seeks refuge from her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I. But Elizabeth has never trusted the ambitious Mary, and consequently has her imprisoned. So begins a treacherous battle between two of history's most powerful and ruthless women. Without once meeting her cousin, Mary is held captive for nineteen years, whilst Elizabeth rules in the shadow of countless Catholic plots against her life...

MY VIEW
As an admirer of Elizabeth I this book (and its predecessor) is rather biased towards Mary QoS however, having said that it was rather interesting to see things from Marys side I did find myself sympathising with her. I found Elizabeth in this book to be portrayed as rather jealous, if she was really like that I do not know but, possibly.

I did find this book a little drawn out in places and somewhat tedious but, overall it was as I said interesting to see things from Mary's side. I have yet to read Margaret George's fictional account of this story so will be moving that up my TBR list quite a bit as I do find Mary QoS rather intriguing.

And you cannot help but, feel sad at the end of this at Mary's beheading and her poor little dog who never ate after her death!

1 comment:

Michele said...

I love Jean Plaidy books, so it was nice to see your review! I think the problem with telling Mary's story is how does one make so many years of captivity exciting, lol? It may not be possible. The Margaret George book suffered the same problems (all bazillion pages of it) and from what I hear Philippa Gregory's latest (The Other Queen) has the same problem. Maybe they should leave Mary to non-fiction? Not sure.

Anyhoo - thanks for the review - I enjoyed it!