Friday 29 May 2009

Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

SYNOPSIS
In a darkened room a young man sits telling the macabre and eerie story of his life - the story of a vampire, gifted with eternal life, cursed with an exquisite craving for human blood. Anne Rice's compulsively readable novel is arguably the most celebrated work of vampire fiction since Bram Stoker's Dracula was published in 1897. As the Washington Post said on its first publication, it is a 'thrilling, strikingly original work of the imagination ...sometimes horrible, sometimes beautiful, always unforgettable'.

MY VIEW
I have actually read this book before, a friend of mine was talking about Anne Rice on Facebook and I just thought I've only read the first two books and there are over 10 in the series and I must get cracking! I first read this about 4 years ago so thought it should be re-read, actually I am reading the omnibus of the first three books but, thought I would review them seperately rather than all in one hit.

My review of four years ago:

This book is based on four very different Vampires.This is the story of Louis who became a vampire after his brothers suicide, he tells of how Lestat made Louis a vampire for economic reasons and aside from that he also wanted a companion. Lestat has Louis as a vampire only because as far as Louis knows there are no other vampires he can turn to.

Over the years he turns to distaste for Lestat, and Lestat who in his efforts to keep Louis by his side he takes a young girl whom Louis had fed upon and makes her a vampire.He knows Louis would never abandon her.The girl is called Claudia, she seems to accept what has happened, she is just a young girl and can barely remember her childhood. She does manage to get away from Lestat with Louis and its on their travels to Paris they encounter Armand.

This is quite a depressive story, Louis is not a happy Vampire! This is a classic book that everyone should read most especially if you love horror or occult.


Having re-read the book even though I loved it first time around I seemed to enjoy it more this time, strange but, true. Since I originally read this I have read lots and lots of Vampire books and in all honesty there is nothing like this its amazing, its engrossing so sensual.

A lot of other vampire books have a bit of a chick lit edge to them (not all just some) this is more your grown up Vampire tale.

4 comments:

Maggs said...

Hi Clare, I agree. This is one of the very best Vampire novels ever! Thanks for your review. xXx

Book Movie Reviews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Très Emily said...

Great blog. Vampire books are the best. Did you hear the new novel by Catherine Jinks focuses on the real world issues vampires face? http://www.iheartvampires.net/?p=321

Check out iheartvampires.net for the latest in vampire news.

Jill said...

I first dicovered this book when I was in the 7th grade, and it was so unlike anything I'd ever read! What an amazing, atmospheric read. I have since reread it several times, and I laugh at all the things that flew over my 12-year-old head at the time. :-)