Monday 17 March 2008

Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes

A beautifully written account of the life of Anne Boleyn, a story we know only too well and despite having read different authors accounts of her life I never tire of it, I never fail to be shocked at her ending, this was one of the most beautiful accounts of her life I have read.

The story goes right back to her life at Hever right to her grisly end at Tower Green. The book does have some historical inaccuracy but, this is a novel if historical fact bothers you that much then maybe this is not the book for you but, I would say it didn't bother me, it does weave between fact and fiction.That said this book was originally published in 1949, so maybe that should be taken into account too.

This novel, was I felt a little sympathetic to Anne so would appeal to those who like Anne more than they do Henry, despite what she done I did feel for her so possibly abnother reason why I liked this book so much. It elaborates quite a bit on Anne's relationship with Henry Percy whereas other books I have read in the past have perhaps skimmed over this part of her life.

Without going in to the storyline, which I am sure many know so well this is a brilliantly written story that anyone who loves historical fiction, and most especially Tudor fiction will love.

The descriptions of life at court are quite vivid and help you to set the scene in your mind.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

I have heard lots of good things about this book. I am looking forward to reading it at some point.