Tuesday 30 October 2007

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

Lady Jane Grey was born into times of extreme danger. Child of a scheming father and a ruthless mother, for whom she was merely a pawn in a dynastic power game with the highest stakes, she lived a live in thrall to political machinations and lethal religious fervour. Jane's astonishing and essentially tragic story was played out during one of the most momentous periods of English history. As a great-niece of Henry VIII, and the cousin of Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I, she grew up realize that she could never throw off the chains of her destiny. Her honesty, intelligence and strength of character carry the reader through all the vicious twists of Tudor power politics, to her nine-day reign and its unbearably poignant conclusion.

Yet another Queen, that though I know her story have never read all that much about it. This has to be one of the most tragic of stories from historical fiction I have ever read, from Jane's at times quite horrible upbringing, if the way her life ended wasn't quite bad enough she had to endure a lifelong abuse from her Mother, almost from birth as her Mother so wanted a son.

Although, it wasn't all bad Miss Ellen more than made up for what her Mother lacked, and I loved how this book was narrated from several peoples points of view, right down to the executioner describe the act of beheading the young Lady Jane Grey, it would take a heartless person I feel to not feel for Lady Jane even her husband and the way he treated her in the bedchamber.

It does make you wonder if death was some kind of release for her, after the way people in her life treated her in her short 16 years.

I have read a few of Alison Weir's Non-Fiction books over the years which are fantastic and this was every bit as good, I really loved this and when I read the end was sorry the book was finished, I will definitely be reading her next book on one of my favourite Monarchs's - Elizabeth I.

No comments: